Teeth Whitening – Bend, OR
Erase Stains & Discoloration with Professional Teeth Whitening
Having a beautiful white smile is key to feeling great about how you look and living your life with confidence. With professional teeth whitening in Bend, you can take care of stains, discoloration, and yellow teeth from the comfort of your own home. This procedure is incredibly popular because it provides great results for a relatively small investment of time and money. If you’d like to know how whitening can help you achieve the smile you’ve always wanted, don’t hesitate to contact us!
What Causes Tooth Stains and Discoloration?
There are two main categories of stain: Intrinsic stain occurs in the deeper layers of the teeth, while extrinsic stain only builds up on the surface (called enamel). Staining happens for many reasons, including:
- Foods and beverages such as red wine, turmeric, coffee, and tea
- Poor oral hygiene
- Developmental defects in the enamel
- Certain kinds of antihistamines, antidepressants, and antibiotics in childhood (e.g. tetracycline)
- Blunt force trauma to the teeth
How Does Teeth Whitening Work?
Professional whitening formulas use carbamide peroxide or hydrogen peroxide, which contain oxygen molecules to penetrate the enamel. This breaks up and removes both deeper stains and surface stains to whiten your teeth by up to 8 shades.
As a dentist in Bend, we offer a convenient kit that can be used at home and takes just two visits to get started. Here’s what the process is like:
- We’ll start by taking impressions of your teeth to make custom whitening trays. These trays will fit your teeth perfectly so the whitening gel can reach the entire surface area of your teeth.
- It typically takes 1-2 weeks to make your trays. When you return to pick them up, we’ll give you a supply of whitening gel along with instructions for using them at home.
- You’ll wear the trays for 30-60 minutes a day until you get your final result, which usually takes 10-14 days.
What Are the Benefits of Professional Teeth Whitening?
The FDA limits the strength of store-bought whitening products, so they simply can’t provide the same results that our professional take-home kit can. At Ponderosa Dental Center, our product is not only faster but also prevents or minimizes the (temporary) hot/cold sensitivity that some people get from whitening.
Also, Dr. Prentice will thoroughly examine your teeth before recommending whitening to make sure that your stains aren’t actually the result of a dental problem that needs attention. In some cases, such as discoloration from tetracycline use in childhood, even professional whitening can’t provide the best results. We’ll always recommend the best treatment to keep you from investing in something that doesn’t work great the first time.
How Long Will Your Results Last?
In many cases, professional whitening results last up to 2-3 years, but this can vary depending on your habits and lifestyle choices (e.g. how often you consume things like coffee or red wine, whether you smoke, etc.) We want you to love your smile as long as possible and will review the best way to maintain your results when you pick up your trays.
Also, many of our patients like to touch-up their whitening once every year or so to keep their smile its brightest. Since you can re-use your custom trays for many years, you’ll only need to purchase refills of inexpensive whitening gel, so it couldn’t be easier!